Saturday, April 15, 2006

Blake, intuition, and Judas


Some good papers or articles:

  • an interesting discussion of the Gospel of Judas w.r.t. Gnosticism at volokh.com (look at the comments and the link, too; also see what it means to be a Gospel; and why the resurrection of the body is important philosophically and practically from Slate)
  • NYT description of communities forcing deportation of illegal immigrants for minor infractions
  • Prawfsblag comments on Balkin on Gary Wills's "Christ among the partisans"
  • Slate obituary for the old Yale chaplain William Sloane Coffin
  • How to remove a federal judge by Prakash and Steve Smith
Some websites I've been paying more attention to lately:

Some books I'm in the middle of:

  • Dominion, Scully (animal rights)
  • The Good in the Right, Robert Audi (intuitionism)
  • Moral Intuitions, James Q. Wilson (intuitionism)
  • The Idea of a Christian Society, T.S. Eliot
  • Jonathon Strange & Mr. Norrell, Susanna Clarke (re-reading, at bedtime)
Current musical obsessions: The bands The Gris Gris and Hem. Britten's Songs and Proverbs of William Blake:
The pride of the peacock is the glory of God.
The lust of the goat is the bounty of God.
The wrath of the lion is the wisdom of God.
The nakedness of woman is the work of God.
Another favorite setting from this is Blake's The Poison Tree from Songs of Experience. This seems especially powerful in light of the new Judas narrative, of forgiveness and friendship and freedom:
I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I water'd it in fears,
Night & morning with my tears;
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright;
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine,

And into my garden stole
When the night had veil'd the pole:
In the morning glad I see
My foe outstretch'd beneath the tree

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home